Relief for foot pain and peripheral neuropathy
By Shawnee Schellingerhout, R.N
Hands Over Feet Reflexology specializes in the treatment of peripheral neuropathy. Often a painful and debilitating ailment, reflexology is an ideal natural method to manage the pain. But first, let’s discuss what are the signs associated with peripheral neuropathy, as well as what peripheral neuropathy actually is.
What are the signs of peripheral neuropathy?
Many people who are experiencing consistent hand and foot pain and/or numbness may be experiencing the symptoms of a common ailment - peripheral neuropathy. Signs and symptoms of peripheral neuropathy in the hands and feet include the following
· Gradual onset of numbness and tingling in hands and feet
· Burning pain
· Sharp, jabbing or electric-like pain
· Extreme sensitivity to touch
· Lack of coordination
· Muscle weakness or paralysis if motor nerves are affected
What causes peripheral neuropathy?
Peripheral neuropathy is caused by damage to the nerve endings. Most commonly, peripheral neuropathy may start in the longest nerves - the ones that reach to your toes. It can result from traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic problems, exposure to toxins and diabetes. As those who have it realize, it can be debilitating as well as just aggravating.
What can you do to alleviate the pain of peripheral neuropathy without medication?
According to the Mayo Clinic staff, there are six lifestyle and home remedies you can use to manage peripheral neuropathy. These are:
1. Take care of your feet by wearing soft cotton socks and padded shoes
2. Exercise to help control blood sugar levels
3. Quit smoking to improve blood circulation
4. Eat healthy meals to maximize your intake of vitamins, minerals, low-fat meats, dairy products, whole grains and fruits.
5. Avoid prolonged pressure by make a conscious effort to not cross your legs or lean on your elbows
6. Massage your hands and feet, or have someone massage them for you! Massage helps improve circulation, stimulates nerves, and temporarily relieves pain (reflexology)
(cited inMayo Clinic Staff. "Lifestyle and Home Remedies." Peripheral Neuropathy. 3 Nov. 2009.)
Hands Over Feet Reflexology specializes in the management of peripheral neuropathy without medication. It does this twofold - not only does foot reflexology help peripheral neuropathy by improving blood circulation, and by relaxing the muscles of the feet that oftentimes have trapped the nerves, but it also provides pain relief as well. Many clients swear by the effects of reflexology to manage their peripheral neuropathy, and have made it a central feature of their lifestyle change. To see how it can benefit you, please call for an appointment today.
For more information contact Shawnee Schellingerhout, R.N at 636-329-9500 or visit www.hands-over-feet.com
Picture Hands Over Feet Reflexology
745 Craig Rd, Suite 100
Creve Coeur, MO 63141
Shawnee Schellingerhout, R.N
Shawnee Schellingerhout, R.N of Hands Over Feet Reflexology, uses foot reflexology as an alternative therapy for pain management and stress reduction, without medication and their side effects. In general terms, the benefits of reflexology have to do with the reduction of stress. Because the feet and hands help set the tension level for the rest of the body, they are an easy way to interrupt the stress signal and reset homeostasis, the body's equilibrium. Some of the benefits of foot reflexology are:
· Helps overall well-being
· Reduces stress
· Reduces pain
· Improves blood flow (great for diabetics)
· Aides in post-operative recovery
· Enhances conventional medical care
· Compliments pain management care for cancer patients
For more information contact Shawnee Schellingerhout, R.N at 636-329-9500 or visit us at www.hands-over-feet.com
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
|Sign up today for your FREE NEWSLETTER|
"Our Newsletters will help you learn more about how Reflexology can help alleviate your pain and suffering from peripheral neuropathy, anxiety and migraines"